Environmental Health News Reports one of the worst food premises ever seen

EHN has recently reported that the owners of one of the worst premises Chelmsford EHOs have ever seen, was fined more than £43,000 for filthy, rat infested conditions and prohibited by magistrates from selling food.

The Red Lion on Springfield Road had closed its kitchen voluntarily following a routine food hygiene inspection October last year.

Holes had been gnawed beneath doors, rats were nesting under the fridge-freezer and fresh rodent droppings were present. Flaking paint and grime covered the window and ceiling. Cooking appliances were coated with congealed grease and charred food. The ice machine in the beer cellar was covered in mould.

Ian Collins, one of the directors of the Red Lion Chelmsford Ltd, was prohibited from running a food business indefinitely.

The company was fined £32,000, plus a victim surcharge of £170 and costs of £509. Mr Collins was fined £10,000 with costs of £509.